RSS Feed

Patchwork Prism Quilt: Pop the Full-Sized Quilt Cherry Edition

A rug for a mug!

In the past I have made small quilts.  I’ve made quilts for my dogs and a quilt for my mug.  But I’ve never made a full-sized grown-up person quilt.  So with the encouragement of a few of my quilt savvy pals, I jumped in.

Picking this pattern because it was pretty and didn’t look so easy as to bore me to death right out of the gate (and apparently summer inspires me with rainbow hexagons), I got to work.  The first step was picking out the fabric.  Which I knew myself well enough to tell Jinx to just stay home for.  It takes me nearly forever to pick out ONE fabric for a dress, there was no telling how long this would take considering I had to pick MANY fabrics and I didn’t want him stranded there with me while I debate two different shades of red-orange.  Which ultimately was a wise decision as he was mixing vomit sounds into a jazz track (don’t ask) and I spent about 2 hours picking out fabrics.

The Final Contenders

Next came the cutting and, oh lordy, was there some cutting.   It took me two nights to get through.  I now have a deep appreciation for the Quilter’s Stash as I didn’t quite have enough fabric in some of the colors to easily cut the shapes that I needed.  So I had to Tetris that shit up and stretch and spin and finagle and make it work.  But I was able to get everything that I needed, but just barely.  If I had stacks and stacks of say purple fabric, I could have just picked something out of those stacks and charlie mike’d without stress but oh no.  I’m new at this.

Rusty and Ozlin are suitably impressed.

After that I saved the laying out until Craft Day at Jennifer’s house.  One, because she has big floor spaces to lay it all out and two, because the girl is a design whiz and I knew she would help me make sure all the colors and whatnot are awesome and no eye sores or bad decisions would creep in.

Plan A.

We swapped the pretty purple green batik in the middle for the garish blues around the edges (ran out of greens, had to make it work) and found some pretty magenta/purple in her stash but other than that we left it alone for the most part and I got to work sewing it all together.  I thought I was being all smart sewing the triangles together two at a time in the rows, but when it came to laying it back out I kept mixing up what went where making poor Jennifer constantly have to stop what she was doing to answer the age old question: “Is that right?!”

Roooooows. I thought I would never be done sewing these things together!

After about 7 hardcore hours of sewing, I had all my rows together and called it a night after a very tricky Roman Numeral numbering system was applied to make sure I didn’t mix anything up in transport.

Now today I started attaching rows to each other.  I tried so very, very hard to make sure all those stupid points line up, but sadly a few got away from me, or got smushed.  But I’m new, and this is a big project so I’m being forgiving for now.

4 and 2 of the rows sewn together! Its starting to look like… something!

But why stop there, Sarie?  Clearly the day was still young.  You could have gotten the whole top put together!

Alas, I could not.  Why?

Pickles. That’s why.

Would you move that?

I didn’t think so.  The quilt can wait another day.  Kitty Cute trumps all.

Advertisements

4 responses »

  1. Looking great. Also you need to apply the rule that some times points don’t line up, and if you can’t see it from a galloping horse fifty yards away, you are fine! that’s what gives quilts their personalities!

    Reply

Say Somethin'

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: